This post may contain eBay affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Brett Favre (aka the Ol Gun Slinger) is a retired quarterback, best known for spending the majority of his career with the Green Bay Packers. Brett was drafted by the Atlanta Falcons with the 33rd pick in the 2nd round of the 1991 NFL Draft.
Shop Now: Brett Favre Rookie Cards on eBay
Brett Favre Rookie Year Stats: 15 games | 3227 yards passing | 18 TD passes | 85.3 rating
Favre began his rookie career at the Atlanta Falcons in 1991 and moved to the Packers a year later.
After fifteen seasons he went to the New York Jets and ended his career after two years with the Minnesota Vikings. Brett Favre (aka the Ol Gun Slinger) is a retired quarterback, best known for spending the majority of his career with the Green Bay Packers.
He broke numerous records during his playing career and was the first NFL quarterback to pass for 500 touchdowns, throw for 70,000 yards, complete 6,000 passes, and attempt 10,000 passes.
Best Brett Favre Rookie Cards
Here’s a rundown of three of his best rookie cards for investment purposes.
1991 Brett Favre Stadium Club RC #94 (Shop eBay)
A great option if you can pick it up for less than $40, this card is widely available in mint condition. It’s not rare by any means, but that does make it easier to find in premium condition.
The card shows Favre in his college uniform (The University of Southern Mississippi), with a misspelling of his name on the front (Farve).
1991 Brett Favre Upper Deck Rookie Card #13 (Shop eBay)
Not to be confused with the normal variant, the autographed version recently went for over $80. The unsigned card generally goes for anywhere from $5-$20, so the name makes a massive difference.
It shows Favre seated midgame with a sheepish look on his face (most likely he just tossed an interception).
1991 Brett Favre Action-Packed Update RC #21 (Shop eBay)
The Action-Packed Update rookie card shows Favre in the classic black Falcons Jersey looking for a running back out of the backfield.
A nice little card for the money.
Numbered #21 the back of the card reads “The future triggerman of the Falcons, ‘Red Gun’ Offense, Brett holds the Golden Eagles all-time records for completions, attempts, passing yards, and TD passes. A highly motivated competitor, Brett bounced back from a pre-season car accident to earn AP-All America honorable mention honors in 1990.”
Rookie Card Checklist
- 1991 Rookie Card Stadium Club #94
- 1991 Upper Deck Rookie Card #13
- 1991 Action-Packed Update RC #21
- 1991 Star Pics Autograph RC #65: You can tell this card came out in the ‘90s. There’s a border filled with footballs, and Favre is located directly in the middle. The autograph is sometimes located on the back of the card, and it’s reasonably rare due to the distribution method. At upwards of $400 for a mint version, it’s always worth looking out for at auction.
- 1991 Wild Card 20 Stripe Brett Favre Packers RC #119: With an estimate of $70-$90, the 1991 Wild Card is great to pick up if you spot one going for a reasonable price. The card has a black border and an image of Favre on the front, with a close-up picture and rookie stats located on the back.
- 1991 Score Brett Favre Rookie RC #611: The unsigned version is a sub $20 card, but an autograph (Read: Best Autograph Rookie Cards of All-Time) will increase the price markedly. It has a purple and white border, with Favre throwing a football in the image. The football actually comes out of the border, which is a nice touch.
- 1991 Wild Card 1000 Stripe Rookie #119: The rarest of the lot, this card will cost upwards of $1000 at auction. There’s no real way of telling how many were released, and it’s hard to find a mint condition due to the black borders which scuff easily. The 1000 version is the one to look out for, with 10, 20, and 100 variations.
- 1991 Brett Favre Upper Deck Rookie Force #647: The Brett Favre Rookie Force 647 rookie card value for a raw card will go around $5 while a high-grade card (PSA 9 or 10) will sell for around $20 to $25.
- 1991 Pro Set Platinum #290: A buy now Brett Favre Rookie Card Value Pro Set can usually be found on eBay between $20 to $30.
- 1992 Stadium Club Vault Blank Back Rookie RC #68: A rare card but no game-used patch
Brett Favre Rookie Card Value
“Buy the 1992 Stadium Club Vault Blank Back Rookie Card on eBay“
Most Expensive Brett Favre Football Card: 1992 Stadium Club Vault Blank Back Rookie RC #683, 1997 Brett Favre Metal Universe Card #156, and 1991 Topps Stadium Club Super Bowl XXVI RC
You can expect to get Farve rookie cards somewhat cheaply considering how he is one of the best NFL Quarterbacks of all time (cards such as Tom Brady Rookie Cards go for 10 times as much in some cases).
The problem with Favre’s rookie cards is they are lacking a true SSP/rare card.
1997 Brett Favre Metal Universe Football Card #156 (buy on eBay)
Even though the above card is not one of his rookie cards we still feel like it is worth mentioning as it should have a terrific ROI going forward and it is one sweet-looking card!
The 1997 Metal Universe Brett Favre Football Card is not a rookie card BUT it is one of the best (if not the best) cards picturing him in a Green Bay Packers jersey… we love, LOVE this card and prefer it to all of his other cards (rookie cards included).
Buyers Guide and Investment Outlook
- Investment Rating: Strong Buy (4.4 out of 5)
- Ownership Disclosure: 1997 Brett Favre Metal Universe Card #156
- Best Brett Favre Rookie Card: 1991 Brett Favre Topps Stadium Club Super Bowl XXVI RC
Favre played in an era where rookie cards were generally mass-produced, and there’s a heap on the market for next to nothing.
From an investment perspective, it’s hard to tell whether his cards are worth taking a punt on, especially considering the high volume of the majority on the market.
If you manage to snag one for a decent price it’s a no-brainer, but you could probably do better looking elsewhere.